We all use and rely on electricity every day. But did you know that electrical fires are the 4th leading cause of home fires? With some simple safety tips, we can ensure our use of electricity is safe for our home by following these tips:
Any electrical work should be done by a professional.
Always have an electrician inspect your home when remodeling or purchasing.
Only plug one heat-producing appliance (such as heaters, coffee makers, toasters, etc.) into any outlet at any time.
Larger appliances (dryers, refrigerators, stoves, etc.) should be plug straight into the wall. Never use an extension cord or plug strip.
Never use an extension cord with a major appliance - it can easily overheat and start a fire.
Unplug small appliances when you are not using them.