Planning & Development
Planning and Development Department staff work in one of three divisions: Building, Planning, or Zoning.
Phone: (843) 280-5560
The building division’s primary responsibilities are plan review, enforcement of all relevant construction codes, issuance of building permits, and construction inspection. This division is also responsible for maintaining the city’s Insurance Service Organization program and the Community Rating Service of the National Flood Insurance Program, which helps secure low cost flood insurance for city residents.
Building Division Documents & Links
- Online Permit Application
- City Ordinance: Adopted Codes
- Building Permit Fees
- ICC Building Valuation Data
- Building Energy Codes (REScheck)
- Sub-Contractor List
- Roofing Letter
- Tradesman Application
- Encroachment Permit
- Substantial Damage/Substantial Improvement Packet
- Repairing Your Flooded Home, FEMA P-234
- View City Elevation Certificates
Hazard Mitigation Plan
Fire Department Inspections
Phone: (843) 280-5565
The Zoning Division is responsible for enforcing the Zoning Ordinance via review and approval of all building permit applications, site-specific development plan review, review of business license applications, and reviews of proposals to subdivide land. In addition, Zoning Division staff provides support to the City’s Board of Zoning Appeals.
- Zoning Administrator: Ben Caldwell, AICP
- Zoning Enforcement Officer: Elton Farmer, Jr.
- Code Enforcement Officer: David McConnaughy
Zoning Division Documents & Links
Phone: (843) 280-5566
The Planning Division is responsible for both current and long-range planning activities. Examples of current planning activities include site-specific development plan review and staff support to Planning Commission for subdivision review, zoning map amendments, planned district development coordination, and annexations. Examples of long-range planning activities include policy creation, zoning text amendments, and special projects and studies such as the Local Comprehensive Beachfront Management Plan, Comprehensive Plan, and transportation planning.
- Principal Planner: Aaron Rucker, AICP
- Senior Planner/Urban Designer: L. Suzanne Pritchard, PLA, AICP
- Planner: Dawn E. Snider
Planning Division Documents & Links
- Online Planning Applications
- 2018 Comprehensive Plan
- Future Land Use Map (pdf)
- Chapter 20: Land Development Regulations
- Street Planning Manual
- Planning Commission
- Local Comprehensive Beach Front Management Plan (2014)
- Northeast Area Transportation Plan (2009)
- Petition to Close Right-of-Way
- Petition to Relocate Beach Access